Thursday, December 07, 2006

Winter/Xmas Projects

First of all, I am still bogged down in Chapter 4. 42 pages and counting, me swimming in news articles and archival documents. A vampire's life: after crocheting late into the night I was inspired to write some more. Fell into bed at 4am, got up at noon.


Finished two Xmas presents. The pink one, in Trendsetter Granito, is a cloche from SweaterBabe.com's Fabulous and Flirty Crochet. Given the color variations, I skipped the fuzzy accent yarn. Also added another row of shells. The multicolor one is a stocking hat made from some sock yarn I got ages ago. It fits almost as tight as a skullcap. Basic Dc; rolled up brim in the simplest V-stitch. You can't see it in the picture, but I topped the brim join with cute little points that stick out when you wear the hat.




Scary looking, isn't it? Reminds me of Edward Scissorhands, tatty and unfinished. Frou Frou cardigan (from Stitch n Bitch Happy Hooker) turned out too narrow in the back (and I checked the gauge, goddamn it!). I've made so many adjustments, the pattern will be useless until I get to the trim. Plan to rip out a few inches at the bottom to make it shorter. But the way it's hanging so unevenly perturbs me.

It's fun design the garment as I go and watch how the fabric behaves. See how the grain of the fabric slants in the front? Happens purely from the way it lays across the chest, as the torso narrows towards the waist. Now I think I can design a bolero jacket using the same stituch pattern.

Oh, and I took up handknitting again. Spent a couple of hours browsing through Knitter's Review and Knitty. Options, options!

No comments: